Programmes and Projects Under the Directorate
Currently, the Directorate operates under one umbrella programme namely; Integrated Regional Development to which budgetary funds are appropriated. Under this programme we have sub programmes/projects that include: –
- Food security Enhancement programmes/projects
- Value addition /manufacturing projects
- Integrated Regional Development Master Plans
- Drought mitigation programmes
- Multipurpose Dams
- Environmental conservation and river bank protection.
- Climate change adaptation/ mitigation programme
NORTHERN CORRIDOR INTEGRATION PROJECTS (NCIPs)
Northern Corridor Projects that are adopted at the Heads of State Infrastructure Summits are of
strategic national interest. These are initiatives that seek to:
1. Enhance regional interconnectivity,
2. Reduce the cost of doing business and
3. Advance regional integration within the Northern Corridor.
Initially the office was in hosted in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2013 to June 2016), before being transferred to the Cabinet Office in June 2016. In January 2018 it was transferred to the Ministry of East African Community and Regional Development.
The Heads of State usually drives the agenda of the Summits and use the meetings review the progress and fast-track implementation of key strategic projects and programmes to support socioeconomic interests in the region.
Mandate of The National Coordinator of NCIPs Office The Northern Corridor Development Function entails:
i. Develop and review policies, strategies and guidelines to guide the implementation of
Northern Corridor Development projects and programmes;
ii. Monitor and Evaluate the Northern Corridor Integration projects and programmes.
iii. Coordinate Kenya’s participation in the Northern Corridor Development, Technical,
Ministerial and Summit meetings;
iv. facilitate communication and engagement with other National Coordinators in the other
v. Promote public and private sector partnerships on Northern Corridor Development
initiatives, projects and programmes;
vi. coordinate the preparation of background Country position papers on thematic areas;
vii. liaise with Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) on the development and
implementation of respective Acts and Statutes related to Northern Corridor
Development projects and programmes;
viii. identify thematic areas for research, coordinate and disseminate research findings
on Northern Corridor Development projects and programmes;
ix. initiate development and review of protocols, agreements and conventions on matters
relating to Northern Corridor Development;
x. conduct advocacy, image building and publicity campaigns on Northern Corridor
xi. provide secretarial Services during the Northern Corridor Ministerial and Heads of State
xii. promote seamless flow of trade and services within the Northern Corridor by supporting
Ministries, Departments and Agencies to identify relevant projects and programmes.
Current Northern Corridor Development Projects and Programmes under Implementation
in the Region
There are 14 cluster projects being implemented by various MDAs which include the following:
1. Power Generation, Transmission and Interconnectivity;
2. Crude Oil Pipeline Development;
3. Refined Petroleum Products Pipeline Development;
4. Commodities Exchange;
5. Human Resource Capacity Building for the projects;
6. Land for Infrastructure development,
7. Standard Gauge Railway (SGR),
8. ICT infrastructure,
9. Immigration, Trade, Tourism, Labour, and Services;
10. Air Space management;
11. Single Custom Territory;
12. Defense cooperation;
13. Peace and Security Cooperation; and
14. Public Private Partnership for project financing.